Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Parts, wagon bed

The bed of the simple version is just a plain box, with butted joints. The bottom is a piece of 1/4" plywood 52" x 28", with sides made of 1x dimensional lumber. If you're going that route I'd suggest 1x6 or 1x8. Remember, ends of 1x softwood splits easily. Drill countersunk pilot holes for the screws, or use glue and brads.
On the underside of the bottom of the bed are mounted blocks that hold the bed on the bolsters and coupling pole. I usually use scrap lumber for this because it's out of sight, generally 1.5" cut-offs of 2x4s.
Attaching them is easier with 2 people. To set them, place the bed on the assembled running gear, and holding the blocks butted in place one at a time screw them in.
When this is done you can lift the bed off as needed. The bed doesn't pop-off in use (gravity is our friend) but if you want to be able to lift up on the bed and have it stay attached to the running gear make the front and rear blocks taller and drill through for clevis pins.
McK

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you, *THANK YOU* for all the work you are doing sharing this info with the world.

    While I have yet to begin assembling the tools and supplies to make my cart, I've been reading each entry with great interest and I'm happy to report that you've made a believer out of me. I *can* make a cart.

    I understand your instructions. I can make a cart!

    Who'd 'a thought it...

    ReplyDelete